Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Drum : Heartbeat of the Nation

The Drum is much more than a musical instrument to Native People. It is sacred. It is a very special tie to the traditional way of life. The Drum sets the rhythm of the dances and the tempo of the song. The Drum should be cared for in a prescribed manner. All singers must know the protocol while seated at the Drum.The Drum is used in ceremony and for social gatherings. The Drum used at Pow Wows is the Plains or grandfather Drum around which a number of drummers and singers gather. The hand drum and the water drum are two other types of drums. The Anishnabe refer to their ceremonial water drum as "The Little Boy". The Drum is not made as a craft nor a play toy. We call our singing groups "drums".The sound of the universe.

Songs were many and varied, fun and festive, war and conquest, honor and family, religious and songs of joy and mourning. Many songs are still sung in native tongue and are either newly composed or revivals of old songs. These songs are reminders to the Native People of their old ways and rich heritage. The person in charge - drum keeper, head singer or drum chief - is an honored position and one with huge responsibility. He must keep and protect the Drum, get his singers together, provide drum sticks, know and lead songs for dances and set an example for younger singers.

An Elder once said, "A song to a Native is like a prayer. A singer raises his voice so high so that the Great Spirit may hear his call and ride his voice down to Earth."

Every man, woman and child who dances as a symbol of his/her culture realizes that today's singers are performing the old songs that have been passed on. One sings for the spirits around them. The music puts people in touch with the natural world.

1 comment:

  1. I want to know more! Thankyou!!!! I wonder if I might be able to send you an email with questions. I want to honor our natives by learning and appreciating. I am seeking elders who can guide me in understanding. My goal is peace, unity and understanding. If I may ask you some questions, perhaps you could send me contact info to my email adress patienceandselfcontrol@hotmail.com. If not, I still want you to know how much I appreciate the information on this site. IT is rich and valuable and certainly something to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete