Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Pow Wow Season !!!!

I am a Pow Wow Dancer and i love getting out to dance. Last year i danced at Fort Erie, New Credit and Barrie Pow Wows and this year I'd like to get out to the same ones and a few others especially making it back to Munsee-Deleware which is one of my favourites. I've been singing at the Drum for 8 years and recently i've composed some songs of my own that i'm bringing out on Wednesday Nights during our practice sessions. We practice at the school if anyone is interested we are there from 6-8....very relaxed, friendly and beginners are always welcome.

I've been listening to alot of David R. Maracle's traditional flute music over the past 2 weeks. My son and i love his "Natural Resources" Cd which i received from my Dad as a gift a couple of years ago. I'm so inspired in fact that i'm actively trying to purchase a nice flute so that i can teach myself some songs.

I sat up last night after my son went to bed and i surfed www.Youtube.com looking for Pow Wow videos and Drum groups and if this is something that you're interested in then this site is a valuble resource for songs. My favourite groups were well represented and included lots of quality Anishnaabek and Cree groups..... Taabik, Young Gunz, Snake Island, Whitefish Jrs., The Boyz, Bear Creek, Little Otter, Battle River, Eyabay. Just go to the site and type any of their names in. Just before i went to bed i listened to an awesome inter tribal by Harvey Dreaver and Whitefish Jrs. that almost brought me to tears.I saw them live in Connecticut at Schmetizun Pow Wow and Festival of Green Corn in 2001 and i danced Fort Erie last year when they were the Host Drum. Check them out !!

Oh, one other great website for traditional teachings.... www.fourdirectionsteachings.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment